How to Have A Career in UX Designing
UX Design aims at the user’s experience. What is meant by this is- a UX Designer interacts like a real human user with mainly a digital product like an app or website or any other product or service.
The UX Designer combines the elements of psychology, market research, design, technology, and business aspects of a product and analyses the data to recommend an interface that would be user-friendly and easily accessible to the users.
About the UX Designers
A UX Designer needs to balance out things between the user and the company’s product or services. The UX Designer researches and analyses the user’s experience to give them a smooth journey while using the product or service and at the same time, makes sure that their analytics are beneficial to the company. The UX Designer should also propose ideas that do not deviate the product or service from doing its actual job, which it was supposed to do.
Eligibility to become a UX Designer
- For UG Level: An aspiring candidate for UX Designing can pursue UX Designing courses like B.Des in UX Designing if they have completed their 10+2 from any stream under a recognized board. This is a three years course.
- For PG Level: You can pursue PG level courses like M.Des in UX Designing and other designing courses if you graduate in related subjects with a 50% aggregate mark. These courses are of two years duration.
- For Ph.D.: You can pursue a Ph.D. if you have completed your postgraduation with 55% aggregate marks from a recognized university and have qualified for the UGC-NET exams.
How to Become a UX Designer
To have a UX Designing career, you need to pass your 10+2 examinations from a recognized board. After which you can either choose to be a graduate in related subjects with a B.Des degree or be a graduate in any other subject, preferably Computer Science.
For the latter, you would need to pursue a master’s or a diploma or an online certification course in UX Designing, and you will be eligible to work as a UX Designer in any IT firm or governmental organization.
Top UX Designing Institutes in India
If you want to have a career in UX designing, some of the top institutes where you should take admission are:
- National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad
- IDC School of Design, IIT Bombay, Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi
- College of Art, New Delhi
- Amity School of Fine Arts, Noida
- Indian School of Design and Innovation, Mumbai
- Department of Design, IIT Guwahati, Guwahati
- MIT ADT University, Pune
- ICAT Design & Media College, Chennai
UX Designing Entrance Exams
While you can direct admission in some colleges, you would need to appear for entrance exams in some other such as:
- NID Entrance Exam
- MIT Institute of Design Entrance Exam
- Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET)
Career Opportunities in UX Designing
The UX and UI Designing industries are comparatively new sectors of the IT industry. Still, both sectors are growing massively and simultaneously because both the industries go hand in hand.
The career opportunities are huge as after you are certified as a UX Designer, you will be eligible to apply to all the big IT firms across the world.
You can also pursue further studies, get your Ph.D. or M.Phil. and get involved in research or the education industry as a lecturer or professor in colleges and universities.
Employment Sector/Industry for UX Designing
The main employment sector for UX Designers is in the IT industry. While most of the companies are private, you can look for government jobs as well because the involvement of IT and AI is increasing in the government sector day by day.
Some major recruitment companies of UX Designers in India are:
Jobs in UX Designing
The different job roles or job positions at which a UX Designer can work are:
- UX Designer
- UI Designer
- UX/ UI Developer
- Visual Designer
- Interaction Designer
- Product Designer
- Usability Tester
- User Researcher
- Wireframe Expert
- Content Strategist
- Information Architect
- Web Developer
- Mobile Designer
Salary of UX Designers
A UX Designer’s average salary in India ranges between Rs 4lakhs per annum to Rs 10 lakhs per annum or more. The wages can be more depending on your years of working experience as a UX Designer and also the company that you will be working for.
Study Material to Become UX Designer
Some important books that you should definitely read while pursuing UX designing are:
- About Face: The Essentials of Interaction Design by Alan Cooper
- The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design Survival Guide by Leah Buley
- Laws of UX: Using Psychology to Design Better Products & Services by Jon Yablonski
- 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People by Susan Weinschenk
- Designing UX: Prototyping, Because Modern Design is Never Static by Ben Coleman and Dan Goodwin
Pros & Cons of Becoming a UX Designer
- UX Designing is a new sector in the technology industry, and new jobs are getting created every day.
- This is an interesting career as you will get to experience an app or website as a user before an actual user experiences it.
- This is a new field hence finding a job or placement initially in your career can be difficult.
- You may need to work for long hours for research and analysis purposes.
FAQs about UX Design
How UX Designing is different from UI Designing?
UI Designing focuses on creating the interface of the app or website that the user will be interacting with. UI designing includes everything that the user will see like the colors, screen, keyboard, fonts, etc. On the other hand, UX Designing interacts with these interfaces and analyses the results as to how a user would feel about the app, website, or digital product.
Can I pursue UX Designing as a career even if I graduate in other subjects?
Yes, you can, and for a better job opportunity, you can pursue a diploma or online course in UX Designing.
Is coding compulsory for UX Designing?
No, it is not a compulsory skill for becoming a UX Designer. But a basic knowledge of coding (any language) will surely help in your work.