How To Have A Career In Special Education
Special education is the study of working with students with learning, physical, and behavioural disabilities. Special education teachers create unique lesson plans for students with disabilities to create an inclusive learning environment. Such a career is for one who has an immense passion for teaching and patience. They also should love children with special needs.
Special education teachers give children with mental and physical disabilities a chance to receive training and education. Special education has different career opportunities like teaching, curriculum development, and instruction creation for children with special needs and adults.
About The Special Educator
Special education offers different career opportunities for people. One of them includes becoming a special educator. A significant challenge for special education teachers is to have the patience to interact with children with various disabilities.
They are specially trained in different courses that educate them about specific disabilities that may hinder a child's education. Such disabilities include learning disability, speech impairments, visual impairments, language impairments, etc. Teaching and interacting with special children may be challenging, but it is one of the most rewarding professions available.
Eligibility To Become Special Educator
Most special education teachers need a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a related field that takes four years to complete.
- For a Diploma: If you wish to take up a diploma in a particular education course, you need a minimum qualification of a pass in class 12 with the qualifying marks or grade in the subjects.
- For a B.Ed course: You need a U.G. degree from any stream with the minimum qualifying marks.
- For Certificate course: Students can also get into certificate courses to master over special education techniques. These courses give you further knowledge about the subject while increasing your qualification. You can do such courses any time after passing class 12.
How to Become A Special Educator
If you wish to become a professional Special educator, you will need to get good grades in your class 12 examination. You can then enter the field of special education. There are numerous colleges in India where you can complete your diploma course and B. Ed, courses.
You require no specific subject combinations in your class 12 level to become a special educator. The more number of special courses you do in addition to the B. Ed course, the more impressive your resume becomes, and the more you are likely to get selected in a reputed institute.
Top Special Education Institutes In India
There are a few Special Education Institutes across India where students can try to get a degree. Some of them are
- B. P. Marine Academy, Navi Mumbai
- HCL Talent Care, Noida
- Indo-American Society, Mumba
- Indian Diamond Institute, Surat
- Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports (NSNIS), Patiala
- Moraji Desai National Institute of Yoga (MDNIY), New Delhi
- Foreman training institute, Bangalore
- (RCI) Rehabilitation Council Of India,
Special Education Entrance Exams
Candidates who wish to enter the B. Ed course for the Special Education course need to pass the TNOU Entrance Exam. The exam is held once a year. Students can fill up the application form in their official site.
You have to pay Rs. 500 for the form for general candidates, while SC/ ST candidates need to pay Rs. 250 for the TNOU Entrance Exam form.
Career Opportunities In Special Education
The job profiles for a special educator are quite different. Schools will engage special education teachers with students where they provide classes for children with special needs. Some of the career options are
- Special educator for pre-KG to Class 12
- Special educator for High-Incidence Disabilities
- Special educator for low-incidence disabilities
- Special educator for emotional disorders
Employment Sector/ Industry For Special Educator
Special educators can get jobs in schools with special classes for special children. They can also work in schools exclusive to children with disabilities.
Advanced special educators with experience can associate consulting in schools for therapy or start their therapy centre after receiving the certifications.
They can also work with physiotherapists, psychologists and other therapists. There are government and private jobs available in India.
Jobs In Special Education
- Teacher for Early/ Pre-KG to Class 12: Teachers at this level will get the opportunity of instructing children with special requirements at different school levels, i.e., elementary school, middle school, and secondary school level. These children have disabilities ranging from mild to moderate disabilities. These children have disabilities ranging from mild to moderate disabilities.
- Teacher for High-Incidence Disabilities: Special Education teachers here have to work with students suffering from high-incidence disabilities such as speech-language disorders, behavioural disorder, etc. They also have the responsibility of teaching children with learning disabilities.
- Teacher for Low-Incidence Disabilities/ Sensory Development: They work with children who have significant physical needs and cognitive needs. They focus on imparting basic literacy and teach them how to function from day to day life.
- Teacher for Emotional or Behavioral Disorders: They work with children who exhibit a diverse range of emotional malfunction such as anxiety, conduct, depression, attention deficit, hyperactive disorders, etc.
- Hospitals that treat special children
Salary In Special Education
- Special educators in school- Rs. 60,000 to 2,00,000 PA
- Special educators for High Incidence Disability- Rs. 1,00,000 to Rs, 2,00,000 PA
- Special educators for Low Incidence Disability- Rs. 60,000 to Rs. 2,00,000 PA
- Special educators for Emotional or Behavioral Disorders- Rs. 1,00,000 to Rs. 2,00,000 PA
Study Material To Become Special Educator
The list of some of the top books are-
- A mind at a time by Mel Levine
- The complete learning disabilities handbook by J.M. Harwell and R.W. Jackson
- Whole-brain teaching for challenging kids by Chris Biffle
Pros & Cons Of Becoming A Special Educator
- Less working Hours
- Flexibility with their work
- Salary is less
- No scope for promotion
FAQs about Special Educator
Which Institutes are best for special education course?
Some of the renowned institutes in India are MJP Rohilkhand University, Bareilly, I.D. Shikshan Sansthan Allahabad, etc.
Who is the father of special education?
A French Physician, named Jean-Marc Gaspard Itard is the father of special education.
Can special education give me job satisfaction?
There is nothing more satisfying than seeing young children becoming a better version of themselves. You can be passionate about your job.