How To Have A Career In Retail Management
Retail Management is the act of procuring the desired merchandise from retail stores by customers for their personal use. All steps necessary to bring a customer to the shop to satisfy their buying needs are included. Retail management is time-saving and much more satisfying than any other job.
Maybe, it is a less traversed route but only in our country. If one goes to the western world, one will see that the case there is totally different. A lot of people opt for this stream and achieve success. But in this stream, one has to have a very positive attitude towards the customers and be very optimistic about their job. Without these virtues, this job will appear to be a lot more difficult and tiring than it actually is.
Retail Management makes sure that customers can find their desired merchandise very easily, the cost price is not much. It also makes sure that shopping is peaceful, hygienic, and appealing to all the customers.
It also cares about the satisfaction of a customer. To the sectors of Retail Management, the customer is synonymous with God. It is one of the fastest-growing industries of the modern age. And in the coming future, it promises to be among the top industries and it is evident from the way it is expanding each day.
About the Retail Manager
A Retail Manager has a wide range of duties and responsibilities based on his specialization and skill set. To be a good retail manager, a person needs to be a good speaker able to captivate the minds of customers. He/she needs to have a polite demeanor and absolutely no grudge on customers no matter how bad the behavior of a customer is. They should remember that their only priority is the customer.
A Retail Manager also needs to be patient to achieve success in this field of retail management. A positive attitude, involvement, and optimism further make the person better. Currently, it is one of the most alluring and attractive industries and if one can have all the above qualities, one can really flourish in this field and earn a lot within a short span of time in any part of the world.
Eligibility to become a Retail Manager
A person can pursue Retail Management at UG and PG levels in India.
- Diploma Course: For this, one has to pass class 10+2 from any board.
- UG Course: For this, one has to pass class 10+2 from any board from any stream with a minimum aggregate of 50%.
- MBA Course: For this, one has to pass class 10+2 from any board and apply for this degree in any private or government institute. A government institute is always preferred over any private institute.
- PG Course: Students who pass the UG course with a decent percentage are eligible to apply for a PG course in any university. And again, Government institutes are the favorites of companies hiring candidates to work for them.
How to Become a Retail Manager
- After completion of the +2, one must opt for an undergraduate degree in the field of retail management in any college.
- After that, do the bachelor’s degree with a good aggregate.
- An undergraduate degree does not always offer a job.
- So, the next target should be the masters which guarantee a job in almost all cases.
Top Retail Management Institutes in India
- Birla Institute of Management Technology.
- Amity Business School.
- Institute of Public Enterprise.
Retail Management Entrance Exams
There are no such entrance examinations. One who has passed 10+2 with a good academic percentage may apply for an undergraduate retail management course in any government or private institute. It does not matter to which the candidate belongs. He/she can be from any background. But a scientific mind makes the candidate lucrative and is desired by companies who hire people.
Career Opportunities in Retail Management
Retail management happens to be the most dynamic industry of current times. Offering more than 2 million jobs in the country, it happens to be one of the most rapidly growing sectors of not only India but of the entire globe. It comprises a wide variety of jobs. Some of the world’s biggest and most powerful companies are a part of this industry. After the completion of the UG or the PG courses, students can apply for jobs as supervisors, client communicators, shippers, managers of stores and warehouses, or the brand itself.
Employment Sector/Industry for Retail Management
Over 2 million jobs are offered by this industry to people all over the country in various national and multi-national companies. Starting from managerial jobs in private organizations to analysts, retail management seldom fails to offer a job to the people pursuing it. One who has a true passion for it never fails to make their customers happy.
Jobs in Retail Management
- Retail Manager.
- Store Manager.
- Retail Buyer.
- Supply Chain Distributor.
- Brand Manager.
- Department Manager.
- Warehouse Manager.
- Image Promoter.
Salary of a Retail Manager
The salary of such an individual is almost 3 lakhs per year. With time and work efficiency, the salary can even go up.
Study Material to Become a Retail Manager
- The Science of Shopping.
- Why we Buy.
- The Nordstorm Way.
Pros & Cons of Becoming a Retail Manager
- It brings a very good amount of job satisfaction.
- A very good income.
- The environment in which Retail Management works can sometimes be really stressful.
- Not at all flexible work hours.
FAQs about Retail Management
Is Retail Management a good career option?
It is the least traversed career option in our country. People are not confident about this stream. Most of them only keep this as a backup plan. But, if studied with all dedication, retail management can really be better than all other sectors.
What are the top institutes to study Retail Management in our country?
Birla Institute of Management Technology. Amity Business School. Institute of Public Enterprise.