How To Have A Career In Jewelry Designing
Diploma programs are available in jewelry designing by some of the bigger institutes in India. After completing graduation in any stream, these courses are available for candidates. However, having a good grounding in the art of creativity is always a plus point.
It is essential to have an innovative inbuilt frame of mind to move towards a career in designing jewelry, like many other creative fields.
About Jewelry Designer
For anyone entering the world of designing, Jewellery Designing is a very rewarding career option. An individual who has quite a good sense of accessories and fashion, and pays great attention to detail is always considered an ideal candidate for a career in designing jewellery.
Jewellery is a type of accessory, to adorn their bodies for decades that individuals have used. Jewellery designers may work with jewellery manufacturers, boutiques, or retail chains where they put their expertise to create new and practice and unique designs.
Eligibility to be in Jewelry Designing
Candidates who want to pursue Jewellery Design and have a UG degree course should have completed their Class 10+2/ 12/ HSC (or equivalent exam) from a recognized board with passing marks.
- Aspirants candidates from any stream, Science/Arts/ Commerce are eligible to pursue any course in Jewellery Design.
- Candidates from a recognized college/ institute need to have completed their graduation, to secure admission in PG level Jewellery Design course.
- For courses offered at the PG level, most colleges prefer design graduates to apply, however, aspirants from other streams, if they possess the required can also apply for admission aptitude and skill-set.
How To Be In Jewelry Designing
Jewellery Designing is a tough professional field, one that affords prospective students multiple ways to gain the experience and training necessary to begin their careers. Below is an overview of how individuals can take to enter this career field and are also interested.
- Pick your path to becoming a jewellery designer.
- Learn the basics like how to adjust, re-shape, and resize jewellery.
- Give yourself quite a competitive edge over others in the market with a degree.
- Plan a specific timeline to practise.
- Learn the process of creation.
Top Jewelry Designing Institutes in India
In India there is a various college offering jewellery designing courses, and here are a few of the colleges:
Top Web Design Institutes in India
- Indian Institute of Gems and Jewellery
- Gemological Institute of India
- Indian Institute of Jewellery
- Pearl Academy of Fashion
- ARCH Academy of Design
Jewelry Designing Entrance Exams
Candidates usually need to carry a design portfolio containing their work and always need to appear for a personal interview round. Some aspirants should consider giving popular jewelry design entrance examinations which are:
- GD Goenka Design Aptitude Test by All India Entrance Exam for Design.
- Pearl Academy Entrance Exam by GLS Institute of Design Design Aptitude Test.
Career Opportunities in Jewelry Designing
The boom in the jewellery and gems industry has brought innumerable opportunities for employment for jewellery designers. You can easily find any vacancies in this industry, after the successful completion of your course. You can set up your own retail and trading unit or also start your own freelance designing business.
Employment Sector/Industry in Jewelry Designing
Candidates after pursuing a course in jewellery design candidates are expected to make and design pieces that are in tune along with the market trend and eye-catching jewellery. On completing a jewellery design course, some popular job profiles that candidates can pursue are as mentioned below:
- Jewellery Designer: In this job profile, people are found to use different material such as gemstones, precious metal and crystals in order to create accessories as well as jewellery. The process requires professionals to create a technical sketch of jewellery and designing of the jewellery piece that is being made.
- Gemologist: People working under this job are expert of gem or stone experts. Gemologists do different study aspects of various gems as well as stones and thereafter determine their value, quality and genuineness. Gemologists are mostly tasked with the job of purity of gemstones as well as determining the composition.
- Jewellery Consultant: People working under this profile has the job to assist customers/ clients in selecting jewellery as per their budget, preference, and requirement.
Jobs in Jewelry Designing
Some of the top recruiters that hire fresh graduates for Jewellery Designer career options:
- Tanishq by Tata Group
- TBZ - TribhovandasBhimji Zaveri Ltd.
- Malabar Gold and Diamonds
- Kalyan Jewellers
- Amrapali Jewels
- PC Chandra Jewellers
- Orra Jewellery
- Gitanjali Jewellers
Salary In Jewelry Designing
Pay packet can differ depending on a jewelry designer on the experience and education.
You can expect your salary for a starter around Rs 7000 to Rs 8000 per month.
With experience, it can increase from Rs 18,000 to Rs 20,000 or more. Top-rated designers can easily fetch salaries in excess of Rs 1 lakh a month.
Study Material to Jewelry Designing
There are various books available for studying economics in the market. Students can also opt for online study materials and PDFs over books, but the latter is more effective.
- The Jewellery Maker's Design Book(All): An Alchemy of the Objects by DerynMentock.
- The Art of Jewellery Design: Part From Idea to Reality, written by Elizabeth Olver.
- The Art of Jewellery Design: Principles of All Design, Rings & Earrings (Hardcover) by Maurice P. Galli.
- Creative Variations in Jewelry Design (Hardcover) written by Maurice P. Galli.
- Setting Stones In Metal Clay (Spiral-bound) written by Jeanette Landenwitch.
Pros & Cons of Jewelry Designing
- To express yourself and yourself creativity, the job profile allows you to do so.
- You get the opportunity to design products for the top brands.
- With time and experience, you can start your own business.
- It is a very lucrative field.
- For the designers who are self-employed, a lot of competition in the area.
- With the state of the economy of the country, the demand for jewelry generally fluctuates.
- You have to work in accordance with the demands of the clients, which may restrict your creativity.
FAQs about Jewelry Design
What are some of the best career options after completing Jewelry Design course?
Candidates can start their careers as jewelry designers, consultants, buyers/purchasers, marketing and sales, quality analyst, etc.
What are the top companies hiring fresh graduates in Jewelry Design course?
The companies hiring from campus placements include Mynta, Joya Lukas, Amazon, Tanishq (TATA), Malabar golds, Kalyan Jewellers, and more.
What skills are required for a successful career as a Jewelry Designer?
To become a successful Jewellery Designing course, one should have essential skills such as eye to detail, technical skills for jewellery design, conventional knowledge of jewellery designing, CAD skills, creativity and innovative skills as well as, marketing skills.