How To Have A Career In Interior Designing
Interior Designing is the art of application of artistic and scientific skills to enhance the interior of a house or a room or a building to make it look more beautiful and luminous. It is done to make living in the house more hygienic, peaceful and aesthetic for the owner and his family.
The person who designs, researches, works out plans to decorate the interior of a house is called an Interior Designer. For being a successful interior designer, one has to have a very optimistic attitude toward the company as well as to the customers. Without this virtue, this job will appear to be a lot more difficult and tiring than it actually is.
Interior Designing is a process which includes research on the topic, development of concepts, site inspections and many more things relating to the interior of a property. In this field, skills as well as execution is very essential.
One also needs to have a very good knowledge of art. Interior Designers make living more interesting for people who only find their comfort at home and nowhere else. This job is ideal for people who have a keen interest for art.
About the Interior Designer:
AnInterior designer has a wide range of duties and responsibilities based on his specialization and skill set. He/she needs to have a polite demeanour and absolutely no grudge on customers no matter how bad the behaviour of a customer is. They should remember that their only priority is the customer.
An Interior designer also needs to be patient to achieve success in this field of interior designing. A positive attitude, involvement and optimism further makes the person better. Currently, it is one of the most alluring and attractive industries and if one can have all the above qualities, one can really flourish in this field and earn a lot within a short span of time in any part of the world. Making lives easy for people is sacred.
Eligibility to become an Interior designer:
A person can pursue Interior designing at UG and PG levels in India.
- Diploma Course: For this, one has to pass class 10+2 from any board.
- UG Course: For this, one has to pass class 10+2 from any board from any stream with a minimum aggregate of 50% and apply for a bachelor’s degree in any college.
- PG Course: For pursuing a PG degree one has to opt for one in any college only after one has completed the UG degree.
How to Become an Interior Designer:
- After completion of the +2, one must opt for an undergraduate degree in the field of interior designing in any college.
- After that, do the bachelor’s degree with a good aggregate.
- An undergraduate degree does not always offer a job.
- So, the next target should be the masters which guarantees a job in almost all cases.
- One should also go for Internship courses during the course for gathering experience in the real field.
Top Interior Designing Institutes in India:
- Pearl Academy, New Delhi.
- Ganpat University, Mehsana.
- NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata.
- Jagannath University, Haryana.
- Ansal University, Gurgaon.
- Apeejay Institute of Design, New Delhi.
Interior Designing Entrance Exams:
There are no such entrance examinations. One who has passed 10+2 with a good academic percentage may apply for an undergraduate interior designing course in any government or private institute. It does not matter to which the candidate belongs to. He/she can be from any background. But a scientific mind makes the candidate lucrative and is desired by companies who hire people.
Career Opportunities in Interior designing:
Interior designing happens to be the most dynamic industry of current times. Offering more than 2 million jobs in the country, it happens to be one of the most rapidly growing sectors of not only India, but of the entire globe.
It comprises of a wide variety of jobs. Some of the world’s biggest and most powerful companies are a part of this industry. After the completion of the UG or the PG courses, students can apply for jobs as supervisors, designers and also in Information Technology firms.
Employment Sector/Industry for Interior Designing:
Over 2 million jobs are offered by this industry to people all over the country in various national and multi-national companies. Starting from managerial jobs in private organizations to analyst, interior designing seldom fails to offer a job to the people pursuing it. One who has a true passion for art never fails to make life happy for others.
Jobs in Interior Designing:
- Spatial Designer.
- Lighting Designer.
- Visual Merchandiser.
- Art Director.
- Exhibition Designer.
Salary of an Interior Designer:
The starting salary ranges from around 20,000 to 30,000 per month. With increase in experience and skills, it can go up to 2,00,000 per month.
Study Material to Become an Interior Designer:
- Habitat by Lauren Liess.
- Elements of Style by Erin Gates.
- Live Beautiful by Athena Calderone.
- Homebody by Joanna Gaines.
Pros & Cons of Becoming an Interior Designing:
- It brings a very good amount of job satisfaction.
- A very good income.
- Interior designers get a chance to show their creative side to the world.
- One can join a company and still work as a freelancer.
- The salary given to an employee at the start of the job is comparatively less compared to other sectors.
- The job of interior designing can be very much hectic at times which often results in depressions.
FAQs about Interior Designing
What are the top institutes to study Interior Designing in our country?
Answer: • Pearl Academy, New Delhi. • Ganpat University, Mehsana. • NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata. • Jagannath University, Haryana. • Ansal University, Gurgaon. • Apeejay Institute of Design, New Delhi.
Is this career right for me?
If you have a real good interest and true love for art, this course is surely for you. Nobody can stop you from achieving success if you have love for your job. Once you are focussed, hardworking, dedicated and optimistic, victory is yours.