How to Have A Career in Hospital Management
Hospital management is a course that can be pursued at undergraduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. levels. This course is studied by candidates who want to work in the healthcare industry’s administrative and management departments.
About the Hospital Manager
The professionals who pursue hospital management are specialized in organizing, supervising, directing, and managing the different departments of the organizations in the healthcare sector like hospitals, nursing homes, healthcare portals, and other departments.
These professionals are required for the seamless functioning of the healthcare sector without any hotchpotch.
Eligibility to become a Hospital Manager
- For UG Level: The candidate must have passed his/her 10+2 in any stream and secured a minimum mark of 50% from a recognized board. Since classes are held in English, most colleges require English as a compulsory subject in 10+2 or at least up to class 10. The bachelor’s course is a three years course.
- For PG Level: For postgraduation, the candidate can pursue Masters in Hospital Administration (MHA) or MBA in Hospital Management. These are 2-year courses, and the candidate must have passed the bachelor’s course with 50% aggregate marks from any recognized university. You can also pursue courses like PGDM Hospital Management for one year.
- For Ph.D.: After your postgraduation with a minimum of 55% aggregate marks, you can go for a Ph.D. in Hospital Administration, a three-year course. Also, you need to appear for entrance exams like NET, PET, etc.
How to Become a Hospital Manager
After completing your 10+2 with the required marks, improve your skills in English, general knowledge, and aptitude to clear the entrance exams if you appear for one.
Get admission in Bachelor of Hospital Management (BHM) and pass in all the six semesters’ exams divided into two semesters per year for three years. You will then get your bachelor’s degree, and you will be eligible to work as a hospital management student. But it is advised to get a master’s degree or postgraduation in the same for better career opportunities.
Top Hospital Management Institutes in India
Some well-known and reputed hospital management institutes in India are:
- Athar Institute of Health and Management Studies (AIHMS), New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Health Management Research, Jaipur
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune
- MAKAUT (Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology), Kolkata
- Guru Nanak Institute of Technology (GNIT), Kolkata
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
- Dev Bhoomi Group of Institutions (DGBI), Dehradun
Hospital Management Entrance Exams
Most colleges give direct admission to undergraduate students based on their 10+2 exams. Some universities conduct their own entrance exams such as the Common Entrance Test (CET) conducted by MAKAUT for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Other entrance exams include exams like CAT, CMAT, MAT, national level exams for pursuing MBA. There are more university entrance exams that you can appear for pursuing an MBA like XAT, SNAP, IBSAT, NMAT, etc.
Career Opportunities in Hospital Management
The career opportunities are vast as the healthcare industry is now rapidly growing, and job vacancies are getting created every day.
If you pursue an MBA or a master’s course, you will get even better job positions to work in where the salary will be much higher.
You can also pursue doctorate courses like Ph.D. After completion, you can work in the healthcare industry or even in the education sector as a professor or lecturer in hospital management colleges and universities.
Employment Sector/Industry for Hospital Management
After completing hospital management, you can work under government and private hospitals. You can also work with non-government organizations like the World Health Organization (WHO). Healthcare organizations, healthcare portals, nursing homes, pharmaceutical companies, hospital supply firms are the major recruiters of hospital management graduates. Here is a list of top companies that recruit the same:
- Apollo Hospitals
- Max Healthcare
- Tata Memorial
Jobs in Hospital Management
The job positions available for a degree holder in hospital management are:
- Hospital CEO
- Hospital CFO
- Hospital Manager
- Hospital Dean
- Hospital Superintendent
- Hospital Billing executive
- Health Director
- Healthcare Administrator
- Healthcare Finance Manager
- Healthcare Auditor
- Healthcare Actuary
- Nursing Director
- Chief Nursing Officer
- Executive Assistant
- Clinical Project Manager
- Medical Affairs Manager
Salary After Completing Hospital Management
A graduate’s average salary for hospital management varies between Rs 2 lakhs per annum to Rs 5 lakhs per annum. It increases as the candidate spends more years working in the healthcare industry.
Also, higher posts in hospital administration like a CEO or dean have an average annual salary of Rs 15-20 lakhs or more.
Study Material to Become Hospital Manager
Some essential books to study while you pursue hospital management are:
- Hospital Administration Principles and Practice by Yashpal Sharma
- Standard Operating Procedures: For Hospitals in India by Arun Agarwal
- Principles of Hospital Administration and Planning written by B.M. Sakharkar
- Hospital Administration by DC Joshi and Mamta Joshi
- Economics for Healthcare by Robert H. Lee
Pros & Cons of Becoming a Hospital Manager
- The immense growth in the healthcare industry gives you a lot of career and job opportunities.
- Job satisfaction- as you are connected to a noble job where you indirectly help in saving lives.
- A lot of work pressure as the healthcare industry is much smaller compared to the population of India.
- You need to be aware and alert all the time to avoid any small mistake that can cause huge trouble.
FAQs about Hospital Management
Can I pursue MBA in Hospital Management if I don’t have a BHM degree?
Yes, you can pursue an MBA in Hospital Management if you are a graduate in any subject with 55% marks and have qualified the entrance exams for MBA like CAT, CMAT, etc.
What is the total expense of pursuing Bachelor’s in Hospital Management?
The average fees of a private hospital management college lie between Rs 3-5 lakhs for three years. The fee will be much less if you get admission to a government college.
What does a Hospital Administrator do?
You become a Hospital Administrator after you pursue hospital management in your graduation and postgraduation. Their main work is to manage, supervise and coordinate with the different departments of a hospital to keep the hospital running smoothly.