How To Have A Career In Fashion Design
The field of fashion designing comprises art which is applied to aesthetics and construction of new clothing lines. The field also applies art to enhance the natural beauty of clothing along with its accessories. Many factors are influencing the course of fashion design, like the cultural backdrop, or societal factors.
It is one of the most creative course options to choose from and has a very prosperous job opportunity. The industry of fashion designing is a continuously growing one and provides a candidate for the much-required room to grow.
About The Fashion Designer
A fashion designer works in various ways to design clothes and various accessories. It is the work of a fashion designer to give a new outlook to the various clothes and fashion accessories like necklaces or bracelets.
It is the domain of work of a fashion designer to research the latest fashion trends and interpret the trends to produce exclusive clothes for the audience. Fashion designers attempt to design clothes that are aesthetically pleasing and functional at the same time. they structure clothes and accessories within a wide range of styles, patterns, and colors.
Eligibility To Become A Fashion Designer
The educational requirements and essential skills that a candidate must have to begin their journey as a fashion designer are:
- The primary requirement is to clear the higher secondary level with good marks.
- The next important degree that they should opt for is a bachelor's degree in fashion designing. After this step, they can go for M.Des in the field of fashion design.
- The additional degree of PG Diploma in Fashion Designing is another milestone that a candidate should go for.
- Apart from educational degrees, certain skills are considered to be essential to become a fashion designer. Visualizing skills, ability to draw and give attention to details, good leadership, and communication skills are some of the most important requirements.
How To Become A Fashion Designer
The following steps are very important if you want to become a successful fashion designer.
- It is always good to have a head start. Along with the mainstream courses in the school, you should take up extra courses like home economics which will teach you the basics of sewing.
- The next important step is to learn a few visual designing software, like Photoshop, CorelDraw, or Xara.
- Take up a bachelor's course in Fashion Designing which covers areas like designing history or sketching and drawing. Having a course like manipulating clothing textiles is another plus.
Top Fashion Design Institutes In India
The most famous institutions in India for studying fashion designing are:
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, in Bangalore, Chennai, Patna, Kolkata, Gandhinagar, Hyderabad.
- Pearl Academy in Rajouri Garden
- Symbiosis Institute of Design in Pune
- Amity School of Fashion Technology in Noida
- Army Institute of Fashion and Design
- Manipal School of Architecture and Planning
- National Institute of Design in Ahmedabad
Fashion Design Entrance Exam
There are various renowned entrance examinations for a candidate to opt for a fashion designing course:
- NIFT or Entrance Examination of National Institute of Fashion Technology
- Central Universities Common Entrance Test-CUCET
- GD Goenka DAT
- IIAD Entrance Examination
- Sharda University Admission Test or SUAT
- NNID Entrance Examination
- AIEED (All India Entrance Examination for Design)
- Pearl Academy Entrance Examination
- Common Entrance Exam for Design abbreviated as CEED
Career Opportunities In Fashion Design
As a fashion designer, there are many opportunities for a candidate to begin his or her career. There is the fashion industry where a candidate can begin their journey as a stylist or an influencer. With some experience, a candidate can also be a personal shopper or a retail manager.
If a candidate loves to work independently, then they can opt for being self-employed and can start their fashion boutique. With specializations, a candidate can choose to be a designer in specific categories, like a footwear designer, or an accessory designer.
Employment Sector/Industry For Fashion Designers
The main sector where a fashion designer gets employed is the fashion industry. There are apparel companies or fashion shows that require the services of a fashion designer. The television industry is another sector that offers jobs to fashion designers.
Jobs In Fashion Design
There are quite some unique job options for a fashion designer:
- Retail Manager or Buyer
- Fashion Stylist
- Personal Shopper
- Jewelry Designer
- Footwear Designer
- Fashion Journalist
- Textile Designer
- Fashion Photographer
- Costume Designer
- Latex Fashion Designer
- Clothing and Apparel Fashion Designer
- Historic Clothing Designer
Salary Of Fashion Designers
The average starting salary of a fashion designer in our country is between 1.5 lakhs to 1.7 lakhs on an annual basis. With some experience, this salary can go up to even 10 lakhs per annum. This salary might increase further with better opportunities in well-established firms.
Study Material To Become A Fashion Designer
- Fashion by Chris Breward
- Overdressed by Elizabeth L Cline
- Patternmaking for the Fashion Design which is written by Helen Joseph-Amstrong.
- The Fashion Designer Survival Guide was written by Mary Gehlhar
- The Sewing Book by Alison Smith
Pros And Cons Of Becoming A Fashion Designer
- Maximum possible work satisfaction
- Independent work with high chances of creativity
- Good money earning opportunities
- Loads of chances to travel
- Long working hours
- A very competitive industry with constantly changing job location
- Low salary for the beginners
FAQs about Fashion Design
Is the career of fashion designing good?
Yes, it is undoubtedly a very good career opportunity. It is one of the highest paying industries. The career is full of creativity and there is much room to grow.
What are some good specializations for a fashion designer?
In the fashion industry, a designer can choose from a wide array of options for specializations, like shoe designing, fashion journalism, or leather designing. Fashion photography is another growing field for designers.
Name some good foreign institutions to study fashion designing
Parson School of Design in Greenwich City or Central Saint Martins in London are some good institutions. The Paris College of Art is also another very good institute to study for design.