How To Have A Career In Fashion Business Management
Fashion Business Management is the Study of skills that help one to manage fashion projects. A fashion manager need not study fashion designing to become a skilled fashion business manager. If one possesses managerial, problem-solving, decision making, etc., skills, he/she is eligible to pursue a career in fashion business management.
There are several roles a fashion business manager has to take care of including planning a fashion event, managing a fashion firm, managing projects, handling interactions with media personnel.
About the Fashion Business Manager
A fashion business manager may have a wide range of responsibilities according to the position and demand of the hour. A fashion business suffers ups and downs, and the role of a headstrong fashion business manager is to handle it and solve every problem faced.
- If you want to be involved in a fashion firm's overall management, you must enrich yourself with managerial and leadership skills.
- If you love fashion and its derivatives but are not interested in taking it up as a career, you can be a fashion business manager. This field requires management skills.
Eligibility to become a Fashion Business Manager
You can pursue Fashion Business Management at UG, PG, and Ph.D. levels.
- For UG Level: Students need to get into a reputed college of fashion to get a diploma degree in fashion business management. One can also opt for a full-time BA Hons in Fashion Business Management.
- For PG level: Students require a minimum of 50% aggregate to enroll in the PG course, which has two years. An undergraduate degree in fashion management or any other discipline is eligible for Masters's in Fashion Business Management.
- For Ph.D. level: One willing to go for an elongated study on fashion and management can go for a Ph.D.
How to Become a Fashion Bussiness Manager
If you wish to become a fashion business manager, you need to pursue the right education from the right institute. The fashion industry is a multibillion-dollar sector, and many fashion managers are necessary to keep the industry running.
- All must pass the main exam at the end of each academic year. On the course completion, you will receive your BA or Diploma degree.
- Followed by which you can pursue further education or get placed in a fashion firm and learn managerial skills.
- One can also take up a general management course along with a certification or Diploma course.
Top Fashion Business Management Institutes in India
India has many top-rated colleges and universities for Fashion Business Management courses such as:
- Indian School of Design and Innovation, Mumbai
- MIT Institute of Design, Pune
- Vogue Fashion Institute, New Delhi
- Indian School of Design and Innovation, Mumbai
- ARCH Academy of Design, Jaipur
- FDDI, Noida (Headquarters)
- FDDI, Kolkata
- Institute of Apparel Management, Gurgaon
- Satyam Fashion Institute, Noida
- SDPS Women's College, Indore
Fashion Bussiness Management Entrance Exams
Different institute like Pearl Academy, FDDI, Symbiosis conduct their own entrance examination to admit students into their courses. These examinations consist of general questions to check the aptitude and design-related specific questions. Once you excel and pass these entrance tests, they might call you for a personal interview followed by admission.
Career Opportunities in Fashion Business Management
Fashion business managers invest in building up strategies to manage the fashion firm or a particular fashion project.
A fashion business manager can also become a retail manager or apparel manager.
With good communication skills, one can become the public relations executive of a fashion firm or a fashion agency.
Employment Sector/Industry for Fashion Bussiness Manager
Most jobs are available in the private sectors of the fashion industry. The jobs are concentrated in the urban environment. Fashion firms, retail stores, boutiques are the sectors that employ fashion business managers.
The film industry also offers jobs in this sector. One can also become a fashion consultant.
Jobs in Fashion Bussiness Manager
Some popular job profiles for candidates are-
- Fashion Brand Manager
- Fashion Merchandiser
- Product Manager
- Retail/Store Manager
- Fashion Buyer
- Trend Forecaster
- Visual Merchandiser
- Fashion Marketer
- Fashion E-Commerce manager
- Public Relations officer
- Event Manager
Salary of Fashion Business Manager
A fresh or recent graduate can expect a salary of 2-5 lakh. As you gain experience and a reputation, your salary can reach up to 12 lakhs per annum.
Study Material to Become Fashion Business Manager
Students need to clear the NATA exam to secure a seat for a B. Arch degree. Some of the best books for NATA are:
- The Fundamentals of Fashion Management by Susan Dillon.
- Basics Fashion Management 01: Concept to Customer by Virginia Grose
- Fashion Retailing: From Managing to Merchandisingby Dimitri Koumbis
- The Business of Fashion: Designing, Manufacturing, and Marketing Kathy K. Mullet, Leslie Davis Burns, and Nancy O. Bryant
- How to Set Up & Run a Fashion Label by Toby Meadows
There are several other books available in the market. Students can also opt for online study materials and PDFs over books.
Pros & Cons of Becoming a Fashion Business Manager
- Growing industry with job opportunities
- International exposure
- No creative skills required.
- Good income
- Odd work hours
- Heavy load of work
- Growth dependent on years of experience
FAQs about Fashion Business Management
What are the functions of a fashion business manager?
A fashion business manager devises ways and methods to promote products and generate sales and marketing strategies. They manage to brand and create brand awareness by running campaigns.
What is the fee structure of Fashion Business Management Colleges in India?
The fee structure depends upon different colleges. This is an expensive course. The fees range from 55,000 per year to 4 lakh per year.
Which are the top Fashion Business Management companies in India?
Top companies that recruit fashion business managers are: Lerros Future Group FabIndia Taj Hotels Indian Terrain JWT Sun Microsystems Marks & Spencer Orient Fashion Wipro Zodiac Royal Sporting House SnapDeal.com SAP Tesco