How To Have A Career In Content Writing
Content writing is the process which includes planning, writing, and editing of web content, generally for digital marketing purpose. It is a form of online writing that is closely linked to web marketing campaigns. The responsibilities include writing blog posts, articles for websites, scripts for podcasts and videos.
Content writing is a career that is based on skills. There is no specific course or degree needed to become a content writer. Content writing aims at providing content for a website summarizing what the website holds and explaining what it offers to its audiences.
About the Content Writer
Content writers can be described as those who create content on the internet or someone specific who churns out engaging content for online use. The demand for content writers has grown exponentially in recent years due to the expansion of the internet. It is the responsibility of a content writer to produce content of the highest quality for the organization they work for.
The work that a content writer produces directly speaks to the target audiences. This is the real duty of a content writer to uphold the actual purpose and meaning of the website that they are working for.
Eligibility to become a Content Writer
Aspirants who wish to pursue a career as a content writer, here is a list of the eligibility criteria which they need to fulfill to become successful.
- Recommended to have Bachelor's/Master's degree in Literature or Journalism; however, degree holders in any other specialization are also eligible.
- Have excellent writing and communication skills.
- Have a basic understanding of e-mail marketing, web analytics, and SEO among all the other digital marketing techniques.
- Be comfortable with meeting tight deadlines on the basis of consistency.
How to Become a Content Writer
In order to become successful as a content writer, have good writing skills is not enough. So to become a successful content writer, there are a few skills one must-have.
- A successful content writer must have the ability to master different writing styles. This is because each form of writing has a specific writing style.
- Don't just pick any random topic to write on. Before one starts creating content, it is essential to learn extensively about the subject.
- Understanding the audience is very important. Catering to your audience's needs, making it easy for them to understand will attract a lot of audiences.
- Make original content and follow the instructions given to you by your client thoroughly.
Top Content Writing Institutes in India
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Times School of Journalism, New Delhi
- Asian College of Journalism, Chennai
- St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
Content Writing Entrance Exams
There is no specific qualifying exam one needs to clear to build a career as a content writer. However, most firms insist on graduation as an essential qualification. Proper knowledge of English is preferred for this kind of job.
Career Opportunities in Content Writing
- Web Content Writer – These individuals build content for online consumption. Web content writers are expected to optimize content for the web. They have to write information about the company, how it works, services/products, information about the team, blogs/ articles.
- Several publishing houses hire a creative writer and editor – These writers have to write articles/blogs on trendy topics, current news, reviews, and so on.
- Freelancers – A freelancer's job role depends on the organization they work with. Their work ranges from social media engagement to e-mail marketing, content development, and collateral development. Freelance content writers are also needed to proofread content as well.
- Content writing for marketing – These individuals write and coordinate content for blogs, newsletters, e-mails, testimonials, corporate reports, templates, presentations,s, etc. juggling several projects simultaneously.
- Scriptwriter – A video/audio scriptwriter is responsible for creating scripts that are shoot-ready for audio, video, and multimedia for training modules. One needs to create content that connects with the targeted audience. As a scriptwriter, one must pay attention to the details.
Employment Sector/Industry for Content Writer
There many sectors which are constantly on the look for good content writers. The following sectors are the most common and popular ones.
- Education industry
- Travel and tourism industry
- Staffing and recruiting companies
- Healthcare industry
- Assisted living facilities
- Nursing homes
Jobs in Content Writing
- Digital content strategist
- Content development specialist
- Web content manager
Salary of Content Writer
The salary or scale of a content writer depends on a number of factors such as the organization that they are working for, their experience, city or state in which the content writer is employed. The average pay scale of a content writer, in the beginning, is between 15,000 rupees to 30,000 rupees. With experience, the salary might increase up to 50,000 rupees.
Study Material to Become Content Writer
- Self-Discipline for Writers – Mathew Meadow
- One Hour Content Plan – MeeraKothand
- The Idea Writers
- The Successful Author Mindset – Joanna Penn
- The Scribe Method – Tucker Max and Zach Obront
Pros & Cons of Becoming a Content Writer
- There is nothing physically strenuous about the job.
- There is a remarkable improvement in one's writing skills.
- One gains a lot of knowledge about new subjects when they research the topic.
- Have the freedom of working from anywhere that is convenient for them.
- There are tight deadlines that need to be met.
- There is no place for exercising creativity; only the client's pattern needs to abided by.
- One is glued to the computer screen on most parts of the working days.
FAQs about Content Writer
Is content writing a good career option?
Being a content writer is a good career option for people who have an interest in creative writing, have good online research skills, have the ability to express their views in writing, and can cater to the needs of both clients and audience.
What skills are needed to become a content writer?
Here are a few skills that a content writer must have: Researching Adaptability Communication Time management Sense of responsibility Originality
Are content writers in demand?
Content writers have huge career options as the market is ever-growing. There are several firms in the outlook for good content writers as well as content writers who can work as freelancers.