How To Have A Career In Accessory Designing
Accessory designing is an art which encompasses all fashion adornments, artistic accessories, and all forms of jewellery. An Accessory Designer has to be fashionable at heart and should have a passion for embracing and transcending whatever he/she feels is in trend.
Accessories add splash, colour, and style to the personality and make the wearer look complete and attractive. An Accessory Designer strategizes the aesthetics and functionality of an idea and tries to bring it in his designed work, and they generally start working by making sketches using pencil-paper which later turn towards CAD (Computer-Aided Design Software).
Designers make portfolios to showcase their work, the works of Accessory Designers include bringing an idea, conceptualizing, and then finally producing the materials. According to the US Labor of Statistics, the fashion industry has observed stagnant progress in employment opportunities.
The urge to keep up with the fashion trends and fascination for the fashion industry has led to this industry's rapid growth. Accessory designers create a wide range of products that will complement clothing and make people look presentable. The various materials include footwear, bags, jewellery pieces, handbags, footwear's, belts, scarves bands, watches, headbands etc. Accessory designing is the art of creating unique, attractive, trendy goods that will compliment any piece of clothing.
Accessory Designers study trend and make sketches which they further transform them into fashionable goods. This career path has created room for people with immense artistic and creative skills.
About Accessory Designing
It is one of the most interesting and intriguing fields. The basic requirement to sustain in this field is creativity and imagination. These people work for various industries, the entertainment industry, fashion industry, production firms, and ramp shows while managing their own accessory line. The urge among netizens to match the fashion trends has generated employment opportunities in this field.
How to become an Accessory Designer
The qualities that enable an individual to pursue a career in Accessory Designing are rationality, originality, creativity, precision, observation, artistic good communication drawing and sketching skills. A bachelor's degree in any discipline of fashion entitles an individual to work as a designer.
A further master's degree can be a brownie point in the resume and widen the knowledge in designing. A designer needs to keep a check on the fashion industry's ongoing developments and an eye on the market. Accessory designers work with both paper-pencil as well as computer-aided design. Accessories can add style and personality to the wearers.
Eligibility to become an Accessory Designer
- An aspiring student who wants to pursue a career in the field of designing should pass 10+2 with science stream (math, physic and chemistry) and further a bachelor's degree in BSc in Fashion designing or Accessory designing of 3-4 years
- After completing higher secondary in the science stream, a student can pursue a diploma in Fashion Designing/Accessory Designing of 1 year.
- Students can also pursue Studies in designing Abroad after 10+2.
- Students on completing graduation can opt for Masters in Fashion/Accessory Designing.
Top Institutes for Accessory Designing in India
- National Institute of Fashion Technology
- Pearl Academy of Fashion Jaipur
- National Institute of Jewelry Design Ahmadabad (Diploma in Accessory and Jewelry Design)
- Symbiosis Institute of Design Pune
- International Institute of Gemological Science Delhi (Diploma in Gemology)
- Footwear Design and Development Institute of India.
Entrance Exams for Accessory Designing
The exams conducted for admission in graduate degrees are:
- NIFT National Institute of Fashionable Technology
- SET Symbiosis Entrance Test
- MIT Institute of Design Entrance
Career Opportunities In Accessory Designing
- Jewellery Designer
- Footwear/Shoe Designer
- Leather Accessory Designer
Employment Sectors/Industry for Accessory Designers
Some of the employment sectors are listed below:
- Fashion houses
- TV and Film industry
- Designer stores
- Jewellery houses
- Leather industry
- High-End Fashion Labels
Some of the leading companies hiring Accessory designers :
- ITC Wills Lifestyle
- Gitanjali Jewelry Pvt. Ltd
- Liberty shoes
- Umbrico India Private Limited
Job opportunities in Accessory Designing
The popular work profiles in the field of designing are:
- Product Designer
- Footwear/Shoe designer
- Jewellery designer
- Men's Accessory Designer
- Leather Accessory Designer
- Apparel Manufacturers
- Gemology Designers
- Freelance Accessory Designer
Work of an accessory designer include
- Thorough research about the design of past and present.
- Creating sample designs and modify them according to the latest fashion trends.
- Ensuring the quality and standard of the accessories
- Remain updated with the latest technology and fashion trends
- Have a frequent check on the market, strategizing financial budgets with keeping profit in mind
Salary of Accessory Designers
Salary of every professional varies with the specialization in their skills, working experience, and the passion for sustaining in the designing industry. The average salary of an Accessory Designer ranges between 1,20,000 -500000.
Study materials for studying Accessory Designing
- Drawing Fashion Accessory by Steven Thomas Miller
- Accessory Design by Anita Genova
- The book of Fashion Accessories: The Complete 20th Century Sourcebook by John Peacock
- Fashion Course Design: Accessories: Design Practice and Processes for Hats, Bags, Shoes and More by Jane Schaffer
- The book of Marker Rendering for Fashion Accessories, and Home Fashions by Bina Abling
- Fashionary Bag Design: A Handbook for Accessories Designers by Fashionary
Pros and Cons of Being an Accessory Designing
- Lucrative and impressive packages offered by high-end labels
- Can turn into an independent accessory freelancer
- Start an own accessory line
- Good job opportunities in popular fashion labels
- Travel opportunities
- Meeting new people
- Opportunity to showcase one's creativity
- Long working hours
- High competition
- The constant pressure of creating new and unique work
- Criticism from contemporaries as well as audience
- Limited job opportunities
- Stressful working
- Work pressure leads to health issues.
FAQs about Accessory Designing
What are the skills needed to be a part of the Accessory Designing Industry?
The requirements for getting a foothold in the field of Designing are creativity, authenticity, detail precision, communication and visualization.
Study materials preferred for studying Accessory Designing?
The various books referred for Accessory Designing are NIFT Exam Guide by Dr R.P Datason, NIFT Exam Guide by Verma, Basics Fashion Design by John Lau, Concepts of Pattern Grading, Accessory Design by Anita Genovaetc.