How to Start your Career in Artificial Intelligence?
It is no secret that an AI or Artificial Intelligence engineer is someone who works on artificial intelligence technologies or problems. Engineers may also choose between projects involving strong or weak artificial intelligence, where different setups will focus on different capabilities. Now there are various ways one could reach there. So, let's see how to pursue Engineering in Artificial Intelligence:
What is Artificial Intelligence?
To mimic human behavior by machine AI is a technique that enables it. Artificial Intelligence is the development and study of computer systems' theory able to perform tasks typically requiring speech recognition, decision-making, human intelligence, such as visual perception, and translation between different languages.
If you ask me, AI is basically the simulation of human intelligence done by machines that we have programmed. The machines need to learn to do some self-correction and how to reason as needed along the way like humans.
Who is an Artificial Intelligence Engineer?
Algorithms, other tools and neural networks to advance the field of artificial intelligence in some way are what, with, which, an artificial intelligence engineer works. In different industries, these professionals may work on various types of artificial intelligence for example
Someone who works on artificial intelligence technologies or problems is known as an Artificial Intelligence engineer. Engineers may also choose between projects involving strong or weak artificial intelligence, where different setups and focuses on different capabilities. So, in this article, I'll guide you through the path on How to Become an Artificial Intelligence Engineer in the following order:
How to Become an Engineer in Artificial Intelligence?
1. Now, from the Basics, one first needs to earn a Bachelor's Degree. It can be from any of the following subjects or areas:
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
2. The very next step is to fine-tune your all Technical Skills. To become an Engineer of AI, one is good at Software Development techniques and practices and needs to be good at programming, and it is an important thing to note here. They need to be knowledgeable both practically and theoretically about the following topics:
- Machine Learning
- Software Development Life Cycle
- Modularity, OOPS, Classes
- Design Patterns
- Statistics and Mathematics
- Electronics, Robotics, and Instrumentation (Not a Mandate)
- Deep Learning & Neural Networks
3. Apart from all the technical Skills, one also must have Skills in Business, and while planning on becoming a successful Artificial Intelligence Engineer, one must possess them. Some of these business skills include:
- Analytic Problem-Solving
- Industry Knowledge
- Effective Communication
- Creative Thinking
4. Now, these skills can either be achieved by opting for a Master's Degree or through practice. In today's world, as AI is a newly emerging topic, a lot of recent research and discoveries are going on, which can be useful for your thesis. Going for a Master's Degree in Machine Learning, Computer Science or Data Science is advised.
Another option is to actually go for Industry Certifications in Data Science, Machine Learning, or Deep Learning. This does add a lot of help you get in-depth knowledge of topics both theoretically and practically and adds value to your resume, which will, in turn, actually help you get an edge over other competitors. Artificial Intelligence is an emerging trend in technology. According to a report by Gartner, 2.3 million jobs will be created for Artificial Intelligence by 2020, replacing almost 1.8 million it will be eliminated. As the demand for someone with skills in AI has already doubled, Job Growth has already flooded the industry over the past few years.
In the roadmap of becoming an Artificial Intelligence Engineer, we saw some Business and Technical Skills required. Let's have an in-depth or closer look at those skills. Starting with all the Technical Skills:
- Programming Languages (Python/C++/R/Java/)
It is not only important to have a solid understanding of classes and data structures but also one needs to be good at programming languages.
Sometimes Python won't actually be enough. For speed improvements, often you'll encounter projects that need to leverage hardware. Make sure you're familiar with basic algorithms, memory management, as well as classes, and links.
- Linear Algebra/Calculus/Statistics
Matrices, vectors, and matrix multiplication are some subjects you'll need to be intimately familiar with. If you have an understanding of integrals and derivatives, you should be clear. Statistics are actually going to come up a lot.
At least make sure you're quite familiar with Gaussian means, distributions, and standard deviations. It would be best if you had quite a firm understanding of models of Probability like:
- Naive Bayes
- Hidden Markov Models
- Gaussian Mixture Models
- Applied Math and Algorithms
Theory and knowing how the algorithm and have a firm understanding of the algorithm works is very important. One will need to understand subjects such as Lagrange, Quadratic Programming, Gradient Descent, Convex Optimization, Summations, and Partial Differential equation.
If one has been away from it for a while, all this math might seem intimidating at first. Yes, studying something like front-end development is not much more math-intensive than Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
- Language, Video and Audio Processing
Two of the major areas or subjects of work, ie. Computer Science and Linguistics are combined by Natural Language Processing, and at some point, the chances are that you're going to work with either video or text, or audio. So it's necessary and needs to have reasonable control over libraries or techniques like word2vec, Sentimental Analysis, and Summarization and Gensim, NLTK.
Roles and Responsibilities of AI Engineer
In general, depending upon their Level of Expertise, the responsibilities or roles of AI Engineers are:
- Develop Machine Learning Applications according to Requirements
- Working with Electric Engineers and Robotics Team
- Study and transform Data Science Prototypes
- Select appropriate Datasets and Data Representation Methods
- Research and Implement Appropriate AI tools and ML algorithms.
- Keep Abreast of Developments in the Field
- Run Machine Learning / AI Tests and Experiments
- Train and retrain systems When Necessary
Salary Companies and Trends Hiring
The Average Salary of an Engineer of Artificial Intelligence is around $110,000 per Annum, with a minimum of $105,244 and a maximum of $144,611. Let's move to our final section of "How to Become an Artificial Intelligence Engineer" and see which companies are hiring these professionals.